Thursday, June 01, 2017

My Box Sweater Journey

I love the elegance of simplicity, (maybe because my head is always in a tizzy... no we won't go there).  Its mostly because I don't want to work on intricate designs that take forever only for me to hate it when it's done, so I keep it simple and enjoy the process

So when I happened upon the "box sweater"  I decided that one is for me :)  I peeked at some patterns and really its all straight lines and you sew the sides and shoulders and sleeves if you want them... that's it!

Not so fast Pam!  I tried it with some bulky'ish roving type yarn I had and straight up knit from the bottom up.. measuring to match another top I had. Once it was done I found out that it hung strangely and I made it pretty big... but when I held it up sideways Voila! I liked it much better!  

Now I'm trying it again, with a finer (DK) gray wool blend.  

So my progress got interrupted by a number of other projects BUT I finally finished it, and then discovered I'd really like it bigger.... but lessons learned. 

Finished product-if I think of taking a picture while wearing it I'll post, but I'm actually thinking of giving it away to my daughter-in-law. 


I'll have to write the patter, but basically I used DK yarn, working sideways, straight knit stich. Back is longer than the front and it's the part I really like.  I did have to un-do and re-knit the back because the first try was way too long.  Then after first sewing the front and back together at the shoulders, leaving about 7'ish inches open for the neck, I picked up about 19 stitches (total 38 for each cap) on either side of the shoulder tops and knit 6 rows for the little cap; then sewed the sides, leaving about 2" opening from the shorter side. 

Thats it... 



No comments: