Friday, August 03, 2012

I LEARNED a new trick today!!!!

Does everyone always wind their yarn into balls?

ღ¨¨¨°º©ღ©º°¨¨¨ º©ღ©º°¨¨¨¨¨¨¨°º©ღ©º°¨¨¨ º©ღ©º°¨¨¨ღ


ღ¨¨¨°º©ღ©º°¨¨¨ º©ღ©º°¨¨¨¨¨¨¨°º©ღ©º°¨¨¨ º©ღ©º°¨¨¨ღ



When I was a very little girl, watching my mom knit, (If I ever run across a picture of the red hooded cardigan with the zippered front she made for me - I'll post it here), I asked her why she always wound the yarn into balls before she got started.  I think I was about 4, but she told me that it helps keep the yarn from tangling since a machine winds the skeins, you don't want to have to de-tangle in the the middle of your knitting.   Later she showed me how to loosely wind by wrapping it around your fingers a little and changing directions to create a round ball.  


So here I am back into the needle craft mode and with the internet and Pinterest I'm amazed at all the amazing clever people out there.  This next part of the story started when found a bunch of 'recycled' yarn for sale on eBay, and a big light bulb went off... "WOW I can get a whole sweater-worth of wool, cotton, or other high-quality yarn, for the cost of a thrift store purchase!!!!"  So I got started on that this weekend, and successfully unraveled a whole wool sweater with a J.Crew label (for the cost of 6.99).  I also loved that in the eBay ad it looked like the balls were wound by a winder, rather than by hand, and a Google-Search showed me all my choices available for purchase.  I also found some YouTube videos showing me how to hand wind 'center-pull' balls of yarn.  Viola!  I found my next new trick!!!!!




Do your own search and you'll find several different techniques, all look pretty easy, and will work great!!!  The biggest advantage here is that using the old winding technique that I was taught by my mother, as you pull the yarn into you work, the ball has to unwind, the ball must be able roll around, and if it's not contained it can roll across the room.  The most irritating thing to me is that it also twists (like the old phone cords) the yarn, which makes it hard to keep from tangling and you have to eventually untwist it - total pain.   Both of these little irritations are completely eliminated.   

Here's the result:


 


I hope this  helps you all make your needlework a little more fun.


Pam

No comments: