Tuesday, July 10, 2012

My first Felted project...


Mom told me about her felting experience several years ago.  Now that I've become 're"obsessed with knitting I was anxious to try it for myself.  Basically by using 100% wool yarn; knitting 2/3's (i think) bigger than you want the finished project to be, then putting through a hot wash with lots of agitation, you have a thick, strong felted piece. 

see the documentation of my first attempt...


MY FELTED TOTE
Materials:
100% Worsted Weight Wool- apx 250 yards (more if you want to make it larger)
US#11 Needles
Gauge:
Width - 3/st per inch
Length – 3/st per inch

HANDLES
·         Cast on 11 st
·         Knit two of the following in Stockinet stitch
o   22½ “ long
o   3 ½ “ wide
BAG
·         Cast on  72 st
·         Knit until long enough or you use all the 250 yards of yarn.
o   24” ( fold in half)
§  I ended up folding it sideways since it was wider than longer
o   Sew up sides
·         Attach handles by sewing 1” down on the inside and 1” from side seams.
·         Weave in all strings
BEFORE FELTING

·         For my first bag the measurements before felting was 17” wide & 12’ high.

FELTING
·         Place knitted work in a zippered pillow-case.
·         Use the hot setting on your washing machine
o   I added some boiling water to make it hotter
·         Measure a small amount of  detergent
·         You may also add another piece of laundry like a towel, or jeans to increase the agitation. 
o   Remember that colors may run, so don’t include anything that will be hurt by it.
·         Start washer and set timer for 5 mins.
o   After 5 mins, check your work.  You are looking for shrinkage and a solid piece of fabric where you no longer see your stitches.
o   I actually took my first one out just a little sooner and can still slightly see stiches and it still looks good.
o   I checked back every 5 minutes – six times and added more boiling water the first couple of times, and I could have left it in there another couple of times.

AFTER FELTING
·         You will want to block your work into the desired shape.    I used a Rubbermaid cereal container.


Placed a plastic shopping bag over the container, and then slid the felted tote bag over that and left it overnight to dry.
 
Measurements after felting and blocking are  9” x 11”




  
I had tested my felting technique with a little test swatch.  It was a perfect size and shape to sew inside for a little pocket... WahLa!!!

No comments: