Sunday, July 08, 2012

Inspired...

...see previous post first, I wanted to tell you about the 'gold scratchy yarn". 

So this was something in a bag of yard my mom brought with her from TX.  Not sure how old it is but it sure looks old to me.

 I'm guessing that some 30+ years ago wool and nylon wasn't easy to make soft.(?)   I just couldn't imagine wearing this stuff in a scarf, sweater or ANYTHING against my skin.... Yuck!


Thinking of a tote bag, purse or something like that I started to check the internet, and where do you find the coolest ideas?  Why Pinterest of course!  

That is when I found a bunch of boxes, baskets, and bowls...like this 

http://pinterest.com/pin/34410384623507720/ 

which led me to the Lala Mountain Mama site. 

http://asmatteringoflaura.blogspot.com/2010/06/free-crochet-bowl-pattern.html.  

So I give Laura FULL credit for this project.  YES.... 

So presenting my new collection of bowls...





I used the scratchy golden yarn with a regular worsted Lyon brand yarn.  The pattern when quickly, though I thought it was a little taller than I wanted...decided it would make a good decorative pot for a house plant

Next I found that with different yarns, the bowls took on different shapes, and I started to become again "Inspired by the yarn."

I thought this looked like a pot thrown on a wheel... the base turned out broader, and I started to really love this shape....so.....





 The last picture is my second scalloped edged bowl (shown nested inside my favorite blue and gold.)  It seems like the scallops are falling inside the bowl, so my thought is to find some way to stiffen the bowl and make the edges stand up.  I'll share that later when I try it.

There's my bowl-story and for now I'm going to keep making them until I blow through all that scratchy golden yarn. (thanks mom - which one do you want?)

No comments: