Sunday, October 14, 2012

my city has succumbed to the California "green-race".

Ok gang.... I got started on "PLARN" again... 

first see my previous attempt....



Once starting this project I became obsessed with collecting bags of a different color... other than white.  Harder than you'd think.  I confess that for this bag I raided my hall closet for a LARGE black garbage/lawn bag, and found it was super soft and I preferred the texture...but alas... I defeats the purpose of going green.

I learned this week that my city has succumbed to the California "green-race".    

I supposed in the there are bigger fish to fry even though I'm still grumbling about it, so it looks like I not only will I no longer have a stash of plastic bag to knit, but I also have more motivation to knit up the remaining plastic I have.  

OK so I do have friends and relatives in other states, who can (and have) saved some bags for me... :)  And stores other than food-stores will still be allowed to provide "single-use" bags... so I'm sure they won't be totally out of my life... in the mein time I will document this little way we're greening up at my house. 

The beginning is the "PLARN".  A new term coined by the creative community for the purpose of this craft of knitting, or crocheting (and maybe some other traditional fiber-art crafts) with plastic instead of yarn.

see my sequence of picture and captions:

FLATTEN BAG... (Yes I'm a WalMart Shopper)


FOLD LENGTH-WISE TO A WIDE YOU CAN CUT IN ONE SNIP

CUT APPROXIMATELY 1 1/2" - 2 INCHES

SEPARATE INTO LOOPS AND ...

...JOIN AS SHOWN BY INVERTING THE  LOOPS

ADD THE REST OF THE LOOPS UNTIL USED UP AND YOU HAVE ENOUGH TO START YOUR PROJECT.

MY STASH OF PLARN FOR THE NEXT BAG.  YELLOW BALL IN THE UPPER RIGHT IS FROM THE MESH BAGS THAT LEMONS CAME IN.  NOT SURE HOW THAT WILL WORK BUT I CUT IT DIFFERENT AND WILL LOOK FOR A WAY TO USE IT.  :)  and keep you posted.
 Also note:  that this is only one of two methods that I know of.  The other method involves cutting the plarn in a manner that will be used as only one layer.... so a smaller gauge hook or needle will be used.... therefore a finer textured project.  If I attempt that method I will obviously post it here, but I tend to enjoy the quicker, larger gauge projects.

There you have it..... go ahead and JOIN this site, so you won't miss the update to this post, and any other posts I've got planned...

*on a side-note... I wonder if there will be a rush to buy plastic products for other purposes which we have been re-using those grocery bags for...?   I'm thinking that now we'll have to "buy" trash can liners... and bags to carry in our suitcases, for our dirty clothes, and leaky shampoo.. etc. am I the only one who 'LIKES' to have those bags.... and what kind of saving the earth is this anyway?*  
  
OK - stepping off my soap box... feel free to comment .... please I want to hear your input.

No comments: