Saturday, May 19, 2012

Why I Handcraft

Growing up mom taught me to sew & knit.  I later was introduced to a variety of crafts in school, CampFireGirls and eventually just because I was introduced to the few things at an early age I was quite open and excited to learn more, eventually photography became my passion.



I have continued to love being creative, and the whole aspect of being able to create things from scratch...from things others might throw away.  During my adult life, being a busy wife, mother, and later full-time employee left little time for such personal passions, but I would often find myself so drawn to something that I would abandon many other things to pursue hand crafts.  I have dreamed of creating yarn from a sheep, I take great pleasure in cooking from scratch, though seldom have time.


In recent months, my love of textile arts has again reared it's lovely head and even pulled me away from some of my beloved photography. I was asked by my son's fiance', Lauren,  to teach her to knit, and possibly crochet, and she also discovered how obsessive this can be.  I thought being a mother of three boys would not allow me to share this passion.  haha.. boys like girls... and you know the rest.  I have also been blessed with a step-daughter who so far has not felt the desire for textile arts, she is a very crafty and creative girl in other ways, and certainly loves some of what I've been doing.


My mother still crafts, and gathers every week with a group of friends who call themselves their quilt group, which started as such, but now has broadened to crafts of all kinds.  Also a member of the LWML at church she and many others make quilts for missions abroad.  Mom started my obsession, continues to feed it and will always be my mentor. Thanks Mom.


Love Pam

No comments: